Thursday, November 21, 2013

The difference between portrait and candid photography


Ray Woods poses with the drum set in Jazz Expression music class at Owens Community College. (PHO245 Photo by Nicole Green)
   During portraits week, I was to find someone interesting within my beat and photograph them in their natural environment. I also needed a head shot on each of the subjects I photographed. I decided to visit a few music classes at Owens Community College for inspiration on this assignment. 
Zach Music
   The biggest obstacle I had to overcome was realizing portrait photography is much different than capturing candid photography. While both are used in photojournalism, shooting portraits of people can become somewhat difficult. It makes the photographer connect directly with the subject. Usually most photojournalist shoots a natural event or an interesting feature. With portraits you have to communicate with you subject and make them feel comfortable to get the perfect picture the subject exudes.
   Another minor obstacle was the position of lighting in the room. Since some of the instruments were to big and not portable, I was not able to move my subject under the light so there wouldn't be shadow and dark spots in the face and background. Instead, I had to work around the situation and have my subjects stand under the light using the capabilities my camera had along with basic knowledge I required in this photojournalism class.

   I want to thank Mr. Eric Wallack and the students in the Pop Music Ensemble class at Owens for granting me access into the classroom and helping me participating in this assignment. I also, want to thank the Jazz Ensemble music class at Owens for letting me come into their familiar territory as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment