Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Our team photo story on Wood Lane Industries

Nancy Douglas hugs one of the residents at Wood Lane Industries (PHO245 photos by Nicole Green).
   My final project was to help construct a photo story documenting the lives of individuals with special needs at home and work. Our photojournalism class visited Wood Lane in Bowling Green, Ohio.  I was responsible for recording the interview with the coordinator Linda Brownell, who explained Wood Lane Industries does.
Jessie Rynn works on her story at Wood Lane. (PHO245 Photo by Nicole Green)
   We were split into two teams. The first group had the opportunity to photograph the residents living in one of the group homes provided by Wood Lane. There they took pictures of everyday living, such as cooking, cleaning and leisure home activities. Yusta and I were in the other group and had a chance to tour Wood Lane Industries, where some of the residents there worked doing piece work, like sorting and counting, while others were connected with day rehabilitation activities and other programs.
   I really enjoyed going through the facility and meeting the residents who worked there. The majority of the workers were really nice about us being there and taking such candid pictures of them in close proximity. You can tell how much passion and dedication they have in the work by the smiles on their faces. The staff was friendly and patient, too. Overall, I wished we had all day to visit and connect with the residents and staff.
   Afterward, each of us collaborated in putting together the assigned parts of the photo story. Damien was in charge of the beginning and ending slides. Parth and Yusta were ahead of the arrangement on all the edited pictures and making sure the captions provided were accurate. And I had the audio where I layered the interview with music to go along with the slides, with help.
   It was a fantastic semester and I enjoyed learning about the elements of photojournalism. I would like to thank Linda Brownell for letting us document the lives and work of the residents at Wood Lane. I hope we told their story in the purest form possible.
Tammy Green works at Wood Lane Industries doing piece work.
   I would also like to my classmates Damien, Parth, and Yusta for working so hard on the making of this project. I know at times we all tried each others patience, but eventually we sorted out any difficulties with communication.
   I would also like thank TJ for helping me with the audio and music. Lastly, I would like a special thanks to my instructor Lori King for teaching me the basic fundamentals of photojournalism and what it takes to become a good photographer and an even better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment